If you do not mirror your display and choose to use your projector for extended display, you can make the SmartBoard interactive by following the steps listed.
1. Turn on projector and boot computer.
2. Uncheck the mirroring box under System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement
3. Hold down the two center buttons on the SmartBoard tray until the alignment screen appears on the computer.
4. Use the space bar to toggle the interactive back and forth leaving the alignment screen on the SmartBoard.
5. Aligned the SmartBoard as usual.